Thursday, June 12, 2008

DENIED .... and rejected ...

Something monumental happened today - I, as a full-fledged-bonified-American-Citizen, was stripped from the very freedom that our country was founded on... believed in ... and lived for. Today, I was denied a library card (fuck you Oak Brook library). You heard right. DENIED from a free servicing public library that millions of hard-earned tax dollars go to every year.

After four years of living in Oak Brook I decided to explore the town and get myself a library card. You know, be patriotic, support the library system, read books, learn more and better myself as a US citizen. Once there and a glance at my home address, I was told I did not qualify for a card because my home address was in an "unincorporated area" and that if I did want to purchase one (Ok- I can shell out $5) I would have to pay $480 for the year. $480!!! What are they smoking? Are they on crack? They're going to sell me a FREE service for $480 a year when I live in the fucking town?!?

Baffled by the whole experience, I was sent packing, alone, ashamed and without a goddamn library card. What else is there to believe in and fight for if a tax-paying citizen can't even get a library card in her own town? Didn't George W. Bush push for the "no child left behind" law? I was left behind, denied of my basic right to education and higher learning. With a statistic of US population library card holders at a mere 3%, how dare they shun me away because of some imaginary line that put me in an "unincorporated grid?" I own my home goddammit! I pay my taxes like everyone else, get pulled over like everyone else and pay my tickets like everyone else.

What has the world come to? What else is there to live for? Where is my goddamn library card!?

1 comment:

eekbot said...

pffft... reading is overrated anyway.